How to Shop for & Store Tomatoes
- Tomatoes are at their peak this time of year. Choose ones that are plump and heavy for their size. Pass over ones with bruises, mold, or discoloration.
- Don’t keep tomatoes in the fridge. It diminishes their flavor and texture. Store in a single layer away from direct sun.
- Ripe ones are good in salsas, gazpachos, stir-fries, salads and sandwiches.
- Add fresh tomatoes to pasta and pizza in place of jarred tomato sauce.
- Stuff a hollowed-out tomato with brown rice, couscous, or quinoa, and bake for an interesting side dish or main course.
- Try roasting tomatoes to bring out their natural sweetness and a pleasantly smoky flavor.