Reprinted with permission from Everyday Gluten-Free Slow Cooking © 2012 by Kimberly Mayone and Kitty Broihier, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
10 minutes prep time, 8 hours slow cook | Serves 8
What You Need
- 3 3/4 c water
- 1 c Japanese medium-grain brown rice
- 1/2 c natural applesauce
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c chopped dried apricots
- 2 Tbsp dried currants
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup or honey
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon or ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Toasted almonds or walnuts (optional)
- Light cream (optional)
- Stir together all ingredients except nuts and cream in slow cooker crock. Cover and cook 1 hour on Low (or 30 minutes on High). Stir and then cover and cook an additional 7 hours on Low (or 3–3½ hours on High).
- Stir cereal well before serving. Garnish cereal with nuts and a touch of cream, if desired.