From Vegan Diner by Julie Hasson ($19.95, Running Press, 2011)
15 minutes prep time | Serves 4
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small Vidalia onion, diced (1 c)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, pressed
- 1¼oz block firm water-packed tofu, drained and lightly pressed
- 1½ Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1½ tsp dried parsley
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh baby spinach
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, red pepper, olives, and garlic, cooking and stirring for 3 to 4 minutes, or until vegetables have just softened.
- Crumble tofu into skillet and cook about 5 minutes or so, just until lightly browned.
- Add nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, and parsley, stirring until tofu is evenly coated.
- Add spinach, cooking another minute or two, just until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.