The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester ($19.99, Fair Winds, 2011)
- 1½ c quinoa
- 2½ c vanilla-flavored almond milk, plus more as needed
- ¼ c dried cranberries
- ½ c unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (or scrape 1/4 tsp vanilla paste from a split whole vanilla bean
- ⅛ tsp stevia (optional)
- Slivered almonds, for serving
- The night before: Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer to remove bitter coating.
- Oil crock of your slow cooker.
- Combine quinoa, milk, cranberries, applesauce, vanilla, and stevia in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- In the morning: Stir quinoa, and taste and adjust seasonings, or add more liquid. Top with slivered almonds.
This recipe uses a 1 1/2 to 2-quart slow cooker. You can double or triple the recipe and use a larger slow cooker if you like.
Some dried cranberries and applesauces contain ascorbic acid. Ascorbic acid, like lemon juice, will curdle even nondairy milks. If yours contain it, cook with water instead of nondairy milk.
Try switching out different flavors of apple or pear sauce, or using fruit butters or purees.