From Complete Curry Cookbook by Byron Ayanoglu and Jennifer MacKenzie
35 Minutes Prep Time | Serves 4
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp ginger root, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 c red lentils (masoor dal), rinsed
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
1/4 c torn cilantro leaves
1 tsp garam masala
1. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until onion is soft and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, ginger, salt, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Cook, stirring until softened and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Add lentils and stir until coated with spices.
4. Stir in coconut milk and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, scraping up bits stuck to pan and stirring to prevent lumps. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer, stirring often, until lentils are very soft and mixture is thick, about 15 minutes.
5. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Stir in all but a few leaves of cilantro. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and garam masala.
Per serving: 314 Calories, 6 g Protein, 12 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 28 g Total fat (20 g sat, 6 g mono, 1 g poly), 412 mg Sodium, HH Copper, Manganese, Phosphorus H Iron, Magnesium, Zinc