From Betty Crocker Whole Grains, edited by Cheri Olerud
1 hour 10 minutes prep time | Serves 6
- 1/2 cup uncooked hulled barley
- 1 can (14 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, cut into matchstick-sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill or 1 Tbsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 medium green onions, chopped
1. Spray a 12-inch skillet with cooking spray.
2. Cook barley in skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently until barley begins to brown. Then stir constantly until it is golden brown.
3. Reduce heat to low and add chicken broth. Cover and simmer 40 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients except green onions.
5. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with green onions.
Per serving: 112 Calories, 6 g Protein, 22 g Carbohydrates, 5 g Fiber, 1 g Total fat, 35 mg Sodium, Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), Biotin, C, K, Copper, Manganese, Molybdenum, Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B6, Pantothenic acid, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Zinc