This Mediterranean dish is both delicious and thyroid-friendly.
The Thyroid Solution Diet by Ridha Arem, MD ($26, Free Press, 2013)
- 2 c dried green or brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive or grape seed oil
- 1/4 c lemon juice, more to taste
- 1/2 c chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 c diced cucumber
- 1 c diced tomato
- 1 c diced red onion
- 1 c diced green bell pepper
1. Combine lentils and enough water to cover by 3 inches in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until just tender, about 15 to 17 minutes. Strain.
2. Whisk together oil, lemon juice, parsley, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Add cucumbers, tomato, onion, and bell pepper. Gently stir in cooled lentils, being careful not to break them apart. Season with additional salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Be careful not to overcook the lentils so they retain their shape.
Each serving: 290 calories, 17 g protein, 44 g carbohydrates, 21 g fiber (net carbs: 23g), 4 g sugar, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium.