50 minutes prep time | Serves 6
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1/2 Tbsp organic canola or veggie oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup thin slices of bell pepper
1/2 cup green peas
1 cup pearl barley
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried marjoram
4 cups vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup spinach leaves, torn into pieces
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
1. Generously coat a large heavy pot with oil and place over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion and fennel and saute until tender (5-7 minutes)
3. Add garlic and bell peppers and green peas, saute lightly (1-2 minutes)
4. Stir in stock, barley, thyme, marjoram. Bring to a boil
5. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid is almost absorbed (40 to 50 minutes) or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally.
6. Add spinach, cheese, and basil.
7. Salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 184 Calories, 8 g Protein, 31 g Carbo-hydrates, 6 g Fiber, 4 g Total fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono, 1 g poly), 161 mg Sodium, Selenium, Vitamin B3 (niacin), B6, C, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus