From The New Thanksgiving Table by Diane Morgan ($24.95, Chronicle Books, 2008)
30 minutes prep time | Serves 10
- 5 fresh ears of corn
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium golden zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded, deribbed, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 c minced fresh parsley
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Remove husks and silk from ears of corn and discard. Trim base of each ear so it is even and flat. Working with 1 ear at a time, stand it upright on its base in a bowl. Using a sharp knife, cut down between cob and kernels to remove kernels. Reserve kernels and discard cobs.
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add corn and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain in a colander and then rinse under cold water until cool. Drain thoroughly, blot dry with paper towels, and set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet, preferably cast iron, melt butter over medium-high heat and swirl to coat pan. Add zucchinis and onion and saute, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until just beginning to brown at edges. Add red peppers and saute for 3 minutes longer. Add lima beans and corn kernels. Saute, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes until vegetables are heated through. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 20 minutes.
photo credit: Leigh Beisch