Reprinted with permission from Vegan Holiday Kitchen © 2011 by Nava Atlas, Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. Photographs by Susan Voisin.
35 minutes prep time | Serves 8
What You Need
- 1 1/2 c red quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 3 c low-sodium vegetable broth or 3 c water with 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 bunch kale (about 8 oz)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 2 c cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, cut into strips, or 1/3 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into strips
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice, or more, to taste
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine quinoa with broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a rapid simmer. Cover and continue to simmer gently until broth is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. If quinoa isn’t quite done, add an additional 1/2 cup broth (or water) and continue to cook until absorbed.
- Strip kale leaves away from their stems. Discard stems, or slice them very thinly. Cut kale leaves into narrow strips. Rinse well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet or stir-fry pan. Add garlic and saute over low heat until golden.
- Add kale, stir together, and cover; raise heat to medium and cook until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a serving bowl or casserole dish and serve at once, or cover until needed.