4 servings | Serving Size: 2 cups
- organic cooking oil
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless lean lamb leg, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 20 ounces of beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped peeled rutabaga
- 1/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
1. In a Dutch oven, on medium-high heat, sear lamb about 5 minutes or until browned.
2. Add broth and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer on low about 20 minutes or until the lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Discard bay leaf and serve in soup bowls.