25 minutes prep time | Serves 6
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
- 4 c nonfat, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 can (16 oz) pumpkin puree or 2 c homemade puree
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 tsp finely minced chives, for garnish
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the apple and leek until the leek softens, about 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, sweet potato, pumpkin, and thyme.
- Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer until the sweet potato and apple are soft when pierced with a knife, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide among 6 bowls. Garnish with chives, if desired, and serve.
Per serving: 124 Calories, 5 g Protein, 21 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Fiber, 3 g Total fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono, 1 g poly), 57 mg Sodium, Vitamin A, C, Vitamin B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), Copper, Phosphorus, Potassium