3/4 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 quarts seafood stock
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp - peeled, deveined
1 pound onions, minced
1/4 cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons paprika
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 quart heavy cream, heated
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup dry sherry
1) In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine 3/4 cup butter and flour.
2) Cook, stirring, until flour taste disappears.
3) Stir in seafood stock and season with salt and pepper. Simmer 15 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
4) In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook shrimp and onion in 1/4 cup butter until onion is translucent.
5) Stir in garlic, paprika and tomato paste and cook until brown.
6) Stir in brandy and light it on fire.
7) Let it simmer until reduced and thickened.
8) Stir in reserved stock, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
9) Strain through a fine mesh or cheesecloth. Put shrimp aside
10) Return strained mixture to a simmer in the saucepan. Pour in cream.
11) Dice shrimp and cook until opaque in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir into soup and simmer 5 minutes.
12) Stir in sherry just before serving.