While Egyptians and Arabians were known to use oatmeal as a skin beauty treatment as early as 2000bc, the Ancient Greeks and Romans used oat baths to cure skin problems.
Today, many skin care and beauty products contain colloidal oatmeal, which is simply finely milled oats. While acting as a gentle exfoliant, oatmeal also has many benefits to your skin. The soothing anti-inflammatory qualities of this grain are known to reduce inflammation and itchiness that can be caused by a number of skin issues, including acne and bug bites.
A gentle cleanser, Oatmeal can be found in a number of products. Why not try to create one of your own? There are many simple recipes available to create your own Oatmeal based skin care product.
Oatmeal Honey Body Scrub
- ½ lb. glycerine soap base
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. oatmeal
- ½ tsp. sweet almond oil
- 1 small handful of lentils
- 1 small handful of oatmeal
- 1 tsp. jojoba oil
- Place the glycerine soap base in a small sauce pan, stir while melting over medium heat. Do not boil
- Remove from the heat, place in a bowl
- Blend handful of oatmeal and lentils in a blender until finely ground.
- Add the Oatmeal mixture and remaining ingredients to the glycerin and mix well
- Spread the oatmeal body scrub in a "mold" of your choice - Sprinkle remainder of Oatmeal on top and cover allowing to cool and harden