Grilling Vegan Style by John Schlimm. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Groups. Copyright 2012. Photo by Amy Beadle Roth
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 to 2 c old-fashioned rolled oats, as needed
- 1⁄2 c all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 c vegan egg substitute
- 1⁄2 c roughly chopped white mushrooms
- 1⁄2 c roughly chopped red onion
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1⁄2 c roughly chopped red bell pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and pressed
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped roughly
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 c well-chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Vegan focaccia bread, for serving
- In a food processor, combine all the ingredients, except the focaccia. Pulse until just coarsely chopped, adding more oatmeal as needed (start with 1 c), until the mixture holds together when you make a patty.
- Chill the mixture for an hour. Shape into patties about 1⁄2 inch thick and about 4 inches in diameter. Chill the patties on a plastic wrap–covered platter for at least 3 hours.
- Heat a broiler and a grill to medium-high. Broil the patties about 5 inches from the heat source for 4 to 6 minutes, or until lightly browned (watch them closely, as times may vary), checking to make sure the ingredients are holding together well. Broiling first will help to prevent them from falling apart on the grill.
- Using a grilling screen if desired, transfer the patties to the heated grill and grill for 2 to 3 minutes, turning once.
- Serve at once, with the focaccia bread.