From The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy Hester ($19.99, Fair Winds, 2011)
5 minutes prep time, 6-8 hours slow cook time | Serves 2
What You Need
- 1/2 c quinoa
- 21/2 c vanilla-flavored almond milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or scrape 1/4 tsp vanilla paste from a split whole vanilla bean
- 1/8 tsp stevia (optional)
- Slivered almonds, for serving
- The night before: Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer to remove bitter coating.
- Oil crock of your slow cooker.
- Combine quinoa, milk, cranberries, applesauce, vanilla, and stevia in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- In the morning: Stir quinoa, and taste and adjust seasonings, or add more liquid. Top with slivered almonds.