25 minutes prep time | Serves 6
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and minced
- 1-1/2 c tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 6 whole-grain tortillas
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 2 tsp vegetable oil or cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- To make the sauce: Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Add jalapeno chiles, tomatoes with juice, and chili powder. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until tomatoes soften. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat. Stir in cilantro. Set aside.
- Warm tortillas in oven on a very low temperature so that they’re warm all the way through but still soft.
- Warm refried beans in a small pan over medium-low heat.
- Coat a large skillet with a small amount of oil or cooking spray.
- Fry eggs without flipping for about 1 minute, or until they begin to set. Cover to finish cooking, about 1 to 2 minutes.