Can't get enough apple in your diet? Try this recipe.
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ c sugar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ¼ c all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ c butter, chilled and diced
- ¼ c ice water
- Prepare the pie crust: In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (I used a fork and finished with my hands.) Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Wrap dough ball in plastic and refrigerate while you are excavating the apple.
- Mix cinnamon, sugar, and brown sugar together in a bowl
- Cut the top off each apple and scoop out the insides. Leave about ½ inch of the apple on the peel. (I found a small melon baller to work best.) Save the cut out apple parts
- Dice the cut out apple pieces into uniform size pieces.
- Roll apple in the cinnamon and sugar mixture
- Retrieve dough from refrigerator. On a floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Using pizza cutter, slice dough into ½ inch strips
- Fill apple bowls with prepared apples.
- Weave pie crust strips over the top of each apple.
- Sprinkle tops with sugar.
- Add water to the bottom of a 12x8 pan – just enough to barely cover the bottom. Place apples in pan and cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, covered.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.