- 4 ounces 100% cacao unsweetened baking chocolate or raw cacao paste (118 grams)
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut milk, as thick as possible
- Lite coconut milk and coconut milk beverage in a carton will not work, as they are too thin.
- 11/4 to 11/2 c Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener (not Baking).
- I do not recommend any other sweetener for the filling.
- I like truffles moderately sweet. If you like them quite sweet, use the larger amount of sweetener.
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Choose your favorite, or be adventurous and do them all:
- 1/2 c raw nuts, soaked if possible, chopped finely and toasted lightly
- 1/4 c medium-shredded unsweetened coconut (not coconut flour), raw or toasted
- Pure cacao powder
- 1/4 c raw yacón syrup and chopped nuts (roll in the syrup, then in the nuts)
- 1/4 c raw yacón syrup and pure unsweetened cacao nibs (my personal favorite)
- (roll in the syrup, then in the nibs)
- 3 Tbsp finely ground Wholesome Sweeteners
- Organic Zero Erythritol (grind in a blender, food processor, or home coffee grinder)
- Spices, such as ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, or ground ginger
- Weigh out the chocolate and cut it into large chunks. In a food processor, chop it into tiny pieces.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, slowly heat the coconut milk, sweetener, and vanilla. Stir until the sweetener dissolves and the mixture is hot but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and immediately add the chopped chocolate.
- Stir with a small whisk until smooth and creamy. If it cools too fast it may get lumps; if this happens, put the pan on the heat briefly to soften it gently, but do not boil.
- Low heat is enough to melt the chocolate. Stir until perfectly smooth. Then pour the mixture into a bowl and chill for 2 hours, until firm. Get out a heavy serving plate, and chill it.
- To form the truffles: Use a spoon to measure out small portions of the soft chocolate, and then roll into 3/4-inch balls between your hands.
- Coat in the coatings of your choice.
- Arrange them on your cold serving plate.
- Keep the finished truffles refrigerated.
- Serve and enjoy!