Red Velvet Paleo Cake
From Paleo Desserts by Jane Barthelemy (Da Capo Press, 2012)
Makes one double-layer 8-inch round cake or 12 regular cupcakes • Equipment Needed: A food processor; any style blender; and a digital scale, as apples and beets vary in size.
- 1 ¼ cup Just Like Sugar Table Top natural chicory root sweetener. A second choice is 1⅔ cup Organic Zero Erythritol
- 1 ¼ cup medium-shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (not coconut flour)
- ¼ cup arrowroot powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp unprocessed salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 Tbsp pure cacao powder
- 1 large beet, cubed and lightly steamed (170 grams)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ tart apple, unpeeled, cored, and cut into chunks (50 grams)
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 Tbsp raw yacon syrup (optional, for a caramel flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly dust with coconut flour or arrowroot powder two 8-inch round cake pans or a 12-cupcake pan.
- In a dry food processor fitted with the “S” blade, grind the sweetener to a very fine powder.
- Add the shredded coconut to the sweetener in the food processor. Spin it for a minute until a very fine powder. Open the lid, stir the bottom, replace the lid, and grind again until the powder is uniformly fine.
- To the ingredients in the food processor, add the arrowroot, baking powder, salt, nutritional yeast, and cacao powder. Mix well and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- For the wet ingredients, it is better to use a blender for a smooth red color. Place in the blender the beet, eggs, apple, vanilla, almond extract, and yacon syrup (if using).
- Blend very well until the beet and apple are liquefied and smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir briefly until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan(s). Bake cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes, or 8-inch layers for 25 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan(s) on a rack.