1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 c red wine or vegetable broth
2 small onions, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 to 1/2 c water
8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 can (15 oz) fire-roasted tomatoes
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Soak eggplant chunks in salted water for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse, and drain again.
2. Heat 1/4 cup of wine or broth in a nonstick skillet. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cover,
and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally and
adding more wine if vegetables start to stick.
3. When onions and celery are soft, add eggplant and 1/4 cup of the water. Simmer for 8
to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is soft. Add more water as needed to
keep the mixture from drying out.
4. Stir in mushrooms, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, thyme, pepper, and the remaining 1/4 cup
of wine or broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stored in a covered container in the refrigerator, leftover Chunky Ratatouille Sauce will
keep for up to 4 days.
Serve over pasta shells, brown rice, or your favorite whole grain.