35 minutes prep time Serves 8
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chili powder*
- 1 tsp smoked paprika*
- 1 tsp ground cumin*
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon*
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 1/2 oz dark chocolate*
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
- Heat oil in a large, deep saute pan over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and spices. Saute for two minutes.
- Add peppers, tomatoes, broth, peanut butter, and chocolate. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Place chicken pieces in a large pot. Cover with sauce. Simmer for 45 minutes, until chicken is completely cooked through. Garnish with cilantro, if using.
*Look for fair trade–certified varieties of this product.