Whether you’re entertaining a royal gone rogue or family and friends in the backyard.
- 1 head romaine lettuce, well washed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sunflower seeds, lightly
- toasted *(see toasting directions)
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, lightly toasted
- *(see toasting directions)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the grill to medium-high.
- Carve the romaine lettuce in half lengthwise. Leave the stem on, to hold the leaves together. Rub the lettuce halves all over with the olive oil.
- Grill the lettuce halves for about 3 minutes per side, or until grill marks begin to appear.
- Divide between two serving plates; sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar, then with the toasted sunflower seeds and pine nuts. Salt and pepper the lettuce to taste, and serve.