Tasteforlife Test Kitchen
- 2 c cooked, drained chickpeas
- 1/3 c orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c tofu (soft), whipped in a stand mixer
- 1 c packed sugar
- 1/4 c cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c chocolate (65%-75% cacao is best), chopped finely [look for chocolate that is dairy, whey and casein free]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil an 8-inch round cake pan with a layer of parchment on the bottom of the pan.
- In a food processor, puree chickpeas with orange juice for several minutes until smooth.
- Add vanilla and then the tofu 1/4 c at a time, pulsing for 5-10 pulses after addition.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the chickpea/tofu mixture, pulsing until blended. Gently stir in the chopped chocolate and then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. When the time is up insert a toothpick—if it comes out dry, the cake is finished. If it is not done, continue to cook, checking for doneness at 5 minute intervals.
- When done, let cool in the pan for at least 15 minutes, then remove to a serving dish and dust with powdered sugar, or top with sliced fruit or berries.
Shhh... Don't tell If you don't tell your friends and family that this cake is made from beans, they will never know, showering you with compliments on such a rich, chocolaty vegan dessert.
Shhh... Don't tell
If you don't tell your friends and family that this cake is made from beans, they will never know, showering you with compliments on such a rich, chocolaty vegan dessert.