This recipe is inspired by the Cardamom Carrot Cake in Tassajara Dinners and Desserts
- 1 pound carrots (I used 7 medium sized carrots)
- 1 c pure cane sugar -- divided
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour (unbleached)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom seeds
- 2 fresh ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 c canola oil
- 3/4 c brown sugar -- make your own, it's worth it for this cake! 3/4 c pure cane sugar and 2 Tbsp molasses
- Grate carrots and toss with 1/2 c of sugar. Let carrots rest in strainer for 20 minutes.
- Using mortar and pestle, crush cardamom seeds and discard pods, grind cardamom seeds and whole cloves into a powder.
- Sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt. Add freshly ground cardamom seeds and cloves.
- Mix brown sugar, remaining sugar, eggs and oil
- Add flour mixture into egg mixture.
- Stir in grated carrots.
- Pour into 8x11-inch pan.
- Bake at 350F for 45-55 minutes or until cake tests done.