- 1 c chopped onion
- 1 1/2 c chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 dried chilies, crushed
- 2 tsp Cajun spice
- 1 lb firm tofu, frozen, thawed, and crumbled*
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, including juice
- 1 can (19 oz) black beans with liquid
- 1 can (19 oz) dark red kidney beans with liquid
- 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh savory
- 1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
From The Vegetarian Cook’s Bible by Pat Crocker
- In large saucepan, combine onion, bell pepper, and oil. Saute over medium heat for 7 minutes.
- Add celery, garlic, chilies, Cajun spice, and tofu. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with juice. Increase heat and bring to boil, stirring up browned bits in bottom of pan.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add black and red beans with liquid, parsley, and savory. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until heated through. Add molasses, if using. Add salt and pepper to taste.
*Freezing tofu overnight or for a few hours and then thawing it creates a meaty texture. Omit this step if time does not permit.
Per serving: 315 Calories, 18 g Protein, 48 g Carbohydrates, 15 g Fiber, 9 g Total fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono, 2 g poly), 736 mg Sodium