From Supermarket Vegan by Donna Klein ($18.95, Perigee/Penguin Group, 2010)
25 minutes prep time Serves 4
What You Need:
- 2/3 c Arborio* rice
- 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 11/2 c frozen yellow corn, thawed
- Garlic salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 11/2 c prepared mild or medium salsa or picante sauce
- 4 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
What You Do:
- Bring a medium stockpot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add rice and boil until tender yet firm to the bite, stirring a few times, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain in a colander. Rinse under cold running water to cool; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add corn and cook, tossing and stirring often, until browned and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and toss corn with garlic salt and pepper; set aside to cool about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together rice and corn with remaining ingredients until thoroughly combines. Season with additional garlic salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate a minimum of 2 hours or up to 1 day and serve chilled, or return to room temperature.
*The use of the starchier Arborio variety of rice ensures the grains will not harden in the refrigerator.