- 2 1/2 cups wheat berries
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup slivered toasted almonds (or pine nuts)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup low fat feta cheese
- 3 cups organic baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- In a large pan, combine the wheat berries, salt, and 8 cups of water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium, and briskly simmer for about 1 hour, or until the wheat berries are chewy but not starchy in the middle. (The only way to know they’re done is to bite one.) When done, drain berries and rinse with cold water.
- For the dressing, combine the orange juice and zest, lemon juice, shallot, olive oil, and pepper in a small bowl, and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the cooled wheat berries, almonds, feta, spinach, tomatoes, and the vinaigrette and toss gently to combine.